How much data still compressed in MM after running ZDEC/NDEC/Yaz0Decompressor?

aroenai

Question

I've been trying to document texture locations in the Majora's Mask USA rom working off a rom decompressed with CloudMax's Yaz0Decompressor (since this is the only tool that produces roms which run without crashing on my Everdrive 64). However, I keep hitting a wall trying to find the textures that should be in icon_item_static, icon_name_static, and map_name_static... but, I'm able to find them in the Jap 1.0 and 1.1 roms.

For example: 0x7D35C0-0x7D373F in the OOT debug rom contains the A button icon used on the pause screen (A to Equip). If I search for the hex with HxD in Jap 1.1, I find a match no problem at 0xA19C40-0xA19DBF. It's nowhere to be found in 1.0 U and searching for the texture using Texture Explorer 1.1 with the dumped 1.0 U texture yields no results. Same with the Deku Mask texture located at 0x9B4000-0x9B5000 in Jap 1.1; matching hex cannot be found in 1.0 U. This makes me think there are still large chunks of the game data left compressed.

For anyone interested, my current progress on a profile for TextureExplorer 1.1: https://www.the-gcn.com/files/file/74-wip-nzse0-mm-usa-profile-for-textureexplorer-11/

4 answers to this question

There are several. Any tools that decompress all the files so the textures can be found/replaced while also still letting the rom run on real hardware then? (no DMA or whatever that causes it to crash because it expects the files to be compressed)

I haven't looked into MM much so I don't know how to properly unpack these files/give them their own mapped rom space (if that's even possible).

Also, when specifying an address range, we typically write the end address as being one more than the last byte within the range (non-inclusive). This allows you to easily compute the size of the range of values.

We've already done this, at least twice.  While searching for debug strings, I did a dump of all the YAZ0 compressed blocks data.  Put the entire collection into a single ZIP only for someone to give me a a link for the very same collection someone else had already done.

As far as creating ROM with all the data decompressed, you can forget it.  Sorry to have to tell you, but the additional blocks, the ones not covered in the DMA table,  just aren't set up for that. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.