Raw textures.

Mallos31

Another new topic by me! If anyone ever wants to take all my stupid questions and pile them into one topic, feel free. Otherwise, here we go. 

I was messing with the N64 Animal Forest rom, and after decompressing it I got like 3000 something files. I sorted them by size assuming the largest one would be either models or code since it was built on the OoT engine (confirmed by the game crashing on console because it was trying to set the time for some reason, and the OoT debug code working as well as there being a map select exactly like OoT's) 

I opened a few in a hex editor to see if there was anything I recognized, and I came across this:

Animal_Forest_Thing.png

I also found arrows, face shapes, and some other odd things in here, and since OoT has some textures in this raw format, I wondered how one would go about viewing them. I assume they use a palette because the ones in zelda that look like this are like Link's eyes which of course use a palette. I would really like to check these out if I could get some help!! 

EDIT: I was messing with it a little bit more, and I noticed this on accident while hovering over my paint icon. 

Resetti_Face.png

Definitely resetti. Honestly looks like an early version of him too. I'm even more eager to figure this out! 

• Like 2

You could also try using my Texture Explorer. It also includes a profile for the decompressed animal crossing ROM with a bunch of textures already documented.

From what I've gathered, it's basically like the Tile Molester, but better. (at least for n64. I wouldn't really know, never used the tile molester).

Also note that it really isn't a "raw format". That could be many different formats. like ia4, i4, ia8, i8, rgb5a1, ci4, ci8 and whatnot. The key is them having the correct dimensions so that the pixels appear correctly when viewed in hex.

That picture looks to be i4, ia4 or ci4. Looks like each pixel is only 4 bit given the mirroring of it, and how the values or placed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.