Importing sound effects.

ASAP Sam Worldwide

Question

6 answers to this question

It is, but it's a bit complicated and a messy process that doesn't guarantee 100% results. You can check out N64 SoundTool v1.1 which does support OoT and MM both. Find the sound effect you want in the game via the tool and export it as a raw file. Once, you do that, go back to OoT and locate the sound you want to port over and find out where the address is in the actual ROM and copy the data over it. But if the new sound is longer than the old one, you'll have to make some sacrifices, either to cut the new sound short which would definitely mess things up, or you can change the address in the audiotable to reflect the entire file, but that would overwrite part of another sound as well. One thing I found about MM sounds is they're almost always longer than the old sounds and usually end up messing things up. Also, N64 SoundTool reads some files as just plain static for some reason and I've never figured out why or how to fix this. It's slightly complicated but if you're feeling bold, give it a try. For now, I haven't been messing with it anymore just due to the bad results I'd get from it.

Sorry about the messy explanation, hopefully you can sort of figure out what I'm saying from it.

It's really simple to port from MM to OoT in my experience using Subdrag's N64 Sound Tool.

You're right, it is relatively simple but I've never had truly 100% results. Problems arise were Link's grunts are a little longer than OoT's and even fixing the points doesn't always work out the greatest. Have you ever tried it out and got good results? Maybe I'll try it out again someday. But once I tried porting over MM Link's noises and I'd get a little static when it was played in game.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.