SUPER-HARD hack (a play as part swap) UPDATED 02/27/2014

john_smith_account

This would be quite interesting. "Play As" Mods have always interested me and in OoT especially and with a little bit of elbow grease can make this character quite different from Link by changing animation pointers to create a different fighting style if so desired.

But I am slightly confused how we would plan to have Link and other characters as playable in the same mod?

There are so many ways to do this, most of which are messy ways to do it. I would imagine my model-swapping technique would work best, but the sword or shield might appear on Sheik's ass (or the other ones for that matter), as my experience with model-swapping results in certain attachments attaching to the other object's ass.

Special additions would be required in order to point to the new display lists, or make a generic reference at the top of each object file and use it as a general reference for all objects (requiring to expand Link's file mind you), so etc etc...

@Airikita:  I'm told you can swap animations from the added model.  Is this as easy as it sounds?

Animations are limited to the number of limbs, however if the animation being applied to another model has fewer limbs, some analysis can remove some limbs per frame, or pad the animation rotation values with 00000000 values to compensate for a model with more limbs (which may not work, but I haven't attempted this)... but no, that part is not easy, but it could be done by separating each frame with the limbs, and analyzing them. It would require extra work. Luckily the animations can still be transferred and manipulated.

I would also assume padding with 00000000 would result in some parts sticking to the ground, making the character look disconnected. You could, however, take a model with more limbs that has animations, and trim them down to attach them to the limbs of the model with fewer limbs to get a similar result with animations.

You'd have to check with the hierarchy which rotation goes to which limb on each model.

Animations with the same limb count can be easy, but it's very picky. I was able to port Shiek's animations to Saria because they both have 0x10 limbs, however, even though Child Princess Ruto has 0x10 limbs, she has fins that animate, and her animations could not port over without Saria contorting herself.

Shieks animations are still misplaced on Saria since it makes her float higher, and there's other issues with Ganondorf's AI not agreeing with Saria's limb hierarchy.

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Animation_Format

Also, I wrote a program a long time ago to extract or "port" (recalculates pointers) hierarchies from model files if you're interested in that type of stuff. If you just used the original hierarchy for a model then porting animations would be a lot simpler. Also, in actor files there tends to be a function call in the "init" function that sets up the actors hierarchy... I believe there is a limb count involved.

EDIT: This version of spinout's "play as anything" hack could be modified to suit your needs: http://spinout182.com/playas/

I know how the hack works so I might be able to help you.

...Oh yeah... sounds... simple?   :unsure:

All kidding aside are there notes, or a FAQ avalible on the subject?  Also, would it be possible to break down the required work into smaller pieces, and work on it as a group?  

And thank you for the quick responses.   :)

I have to create my own notes when making animation and model ports/swaps, there are no notes on all the hierarchies or animations. I can figure them out though, if you want a certain thing done. If you like the animation of a particular model, I can look into it.

If you want the limb counts, they're listed here:

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Debug_ROM:_ZOBJ_List

Animation headers, values, etc... are here:

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Animation_Format

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.