xdaniel streaming stuff

xdaniel

So, I have this justin.tv account that I've used once so far to stream my desktop (and music listened to) while coding. And now I was wondering - and literally while trying to fall asleep, so this is probably a meh idea anyway - if anyone would be interested in seeing me play some kinda game while butchering the English language's pronunciation.

I was thinking - which is the main reason why I think this might be meh, as I realize it's rather overdone - of playing Minecraft, starting a new world, sharing my fear of Endermen, my hatred for Creepers... and my both of the new Skeleton AI with whoever would want to watch.

It's the only game I can think of that I personally enjoy watching other people play (such as Guude, VintageBeef and the other Mindcrackers; or for the Germans, the PietSmiet team), because of how each world is different (unless you deliberately use a known seed), and how each player has a different experience playing depending on what they focus on, like building or exploration or whatever. And I wouldn't really want to play something "on camera" that I wouldn't want to watch myself.

So, yeah, would anyone be interested in this in general, and if so, would you like to watch and hear me play Minecraft?

• Like 1

Spent the last 45 minutes or so trying to get a good quality stream of Minecraft working. Got two results: 1) good FPS for me, bad video quality for the viewers. 2) bad FPS for me, bad video quality for the viewers!

I take it my upload speed (between 0.7 and 1.1 Mbps, depending on the speed test site used) isn't high enough to stream anything above 480p or something without it looking like ass. Or well, it looks like ass regardless, but it's either "anything in motion smears and looks like ass", or it's "really low resolution looking like ass". I'd still want to go ahead, with the latter kind of looking like ass then, so that you can at least see something, but...

Naxy, is your upload speed any better, and could you thus stream a multiplayer game if we did one? I could set up the server, which in ex. Minecraft I know I can do, upload- and performance-wise.

Oh, and last and "best" attempt here: http://www.justin.tv/xdanieldzd/b/434712291 (will be deleted in 47 hours according to the site)

• Like 1

Yeah, I can probably handle the stream, I have an up speed of somewhere around 10 Mbps so that should work fine; I've streamed games like Slender: The Arrival before with a little bit of lag but it was still watchable, so Minecraft should be no problem. Although, going by the best case test you posted, the quality looks great and the FPS seems to be pretty solid as well, so I personally think you could definitely get away with that just fine if you still wanted to stream (it'd also save me having to familiarize myself with justin.tv since I'm used to livestream). I also have two computers available so I can also dedicate one to the server if need be. This weekend will work as long as it's Friday or Saturday, I'll be busy helping my sister move in to her apartment Sunday.

I'd be fine with Netsrac joining as well, what about you guys? Also, I think four people should be the limit, just before anyone else asks, for coordination and communication purposes. Any more would probably ex. clog up the chat in more intense moments during battle. Come to think of it, what about communication? Should we just use the in-game chat or have a Skype call or somesuch?

Now, about the "when" and "what exactly". I'd be fine with Friday or Saturday, afternoon or evening (local time, uh, UTC+2) as well - something like 6 or 7 pm here? As for "what"... I assume we'd play just regular Minecraft in survival, no special gamerules, and gather supplies, build a base, explore caves, etc. Should we set a goal, like try to kill the Dragon (yeah, right)?

As for streaming and hosting the server, I think a dedicated server would be a good idea; the stream I could certainly do then. I'll also do a longer, single-player test stream ahead of our multiplayer stream, just to make sure everything works right (ex. still need to hook up my headset to the desktop and configure OBS for it; I usually use it with Skype on my laptop).

Skype call works great for me personally, and 6-7 PM UTC+2 either Friday or Saturday should work just as well, Friday would probably be the better day of the two. As for a goal for the stream, I feel like building a Nether portal could probably be doable in one session, so we could shoot for that and keep going if we felt like it.

Also xdan, I don't see what you were talking about with butchering English pronunciation; you're a damn sight (sound?) more proficient that quite a few native speakers of the language I've heard.

Netsrac: Yeah, I watched it again, and Minecraft itself is a bit loud compared to the voiceover. I'll turn it down next time, either in the game or just the system volume as a whole.

Naxy: Nether portal and then some if we want sounds good, yep. As for my pronunciation, I've rarely ever spoken English in my life, so I guess I'm just wary about my ability to do so?

So, is everyone alright with setting a date/time of Friday at 6 or 7 pm UTC+2, at least for now? If something else comes up for anyone, we can still move the time around later.

After a bunch of complications - both server-related and, uh, Zombie and Creeper related - we're now streaming some Minecraft:

http://www.justin.tv/xdanieldzd

EDIT: And after just over 6 hours total, we're done! We were only 2, for a while 3, people this time, but for the next stream we'll hopefully get all four of us together. I'll also turn up my mic a bit then, we'll try to get the game less laggy, and I'll actually announce the next stream properly instead of going "oh, yeah, we're actually live right now" like I did this time ^^"

Edited by xdaniel
  • Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.