ROM On Cartridge or disk?

Jonny1067

Question

4 answers to this question

Get some DVD-RW discs (re-writable DVDs).

Otherwise, a disc is read-only, and can't be erased (unless you fuck it up with something like a microwave, in which case, it then cannot be used at all).

As for cartridges, I imagine you'll need some archaic hardware that is really hard (or near impossible) to come by now-a-days. Unless you made it yourself.

EDIT:

Missed the bit about GameCube discs. Yeah, that is a definite no.

I'm not even sure if they make RW discs in the size of GC discs, either, as I only know of R discs in that size (could be wrong, not bothering to research it).

Otherwise, you'd need your GC modded with the ability to play burnt discs, and then you'd need to buy some Mini DVD-R discs from the store to burn your modified GC ISOs onto.

Or, if you have a Wii, burn your GC ISOs onto a normal DVD to play on it, granted it's modded (or if your GC case is modded, use the normal-sized DVDs with it).

Also, best solution for N64 ROMs:

A flash cartridge, like the Everdrive 64. Get one, man, you'll love it. I'm even planning on getting one, eventually.

EDIT 2:

As for archaic hardware to rewrite N64 cartridges, well, I was probably wrong about that. I'm pretty sure that such a feature is only for development cartridges.

Cartridges for at least some systems can be physically modified to accept EEPROMs, by removing the on-board ROM and replacing it with an IC socket. That's more or less how ex. SNES reproductions are made. Of course that means you'll need to sacrifice an official cartridge - and with systems where cartridges contain memory mapping hardware (ex. NES, GB, SNES), you'll need different donor cartridges for different games -, you'll need to be able to solder and desolder components on a PCB, and you'll need to be able burn EEPROMs... and I don't know if you can even do this so easily with an N64 game.

Nowadays, getting a modern flash cartridge - sd2snes, 64drive, the various Everdrive models, etc. - is the easier, albeit more expensive way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.