Raising internal FPS cap of Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask?

Mooseknuckle

Question

Being that I haven't used a Nintendo 64 emulator in quite some time, something I only just recently noticed is the fact that both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask have an internal framerate cap of 20 FPS for 3D scenes.  As someone who now plays a lot of PC games at 60 FPS, the FPS difference is quite noticable.  Seeing as we are able to emulate N64 games at HD resolutions with high-resolution texture packs, is it in any way possible to raise the FPS cap of the N64 Zelda games to 60 FPS via ROM hacking?  I ask this because 1964 Ultrafast v3 is capable of overclocking the emulated N64 to allow for higher framerates.  While most games have an FPS cap (either 20 or 30) and won't benefit from this, games like Goldeneye are uncapped and can run at round 60 FPS with the emulator overclocked.

11 answers to this question

The gameplay simulation is locked to the framerate. There is code built into the game for running at a different framerate, but it's REALLY buggy. So, in effect, if you make the framerate 60fps instead of 20fps, everything will run three times as fast. Hope that's okay!

The proper solutions are to make your own engine with proper full dynamic tickrate support or to wait for 3DS emulation and hack that version of OoT.

The gameplay simulation is locked to the framerate. There is code built into the game for running at a different framerate, but it's REALLY buggy. So, in effect, if you make the framerate 60fps instead of 20fps, everything will run three times as fast. Hope that's okay! The proper solutions are to make your own engine with proper full dynamic tickrate support or to wait for 3DS emulation and hack that version of OoT.

afaik, OoT 3D runs at 40fps.

Linus did a video on this, 30fps vs 60fps (60hz vs 120hz monitor), the difference is hardly noticable. However, if you use a 120hz monitor a lot them switch back to 60hz, well, it depends on the user. It's like when I played games at 720p then started using 1080p, then shortly after used 720p again, I didn't even notice a change. But now when I use 720p, it's not a very pleasent experience, I'll go to great lengths to get 1080p (lol). So the difference really depends how long you've had to become acustomed to the better type. No bias here, I've never even seed 120hz lol. Anyway, the point is, to him the difference may be worth the effort it takes. Sorry for any spelling mistakes, my thumb hurts. Ow, stupid ipod.

I can very extremely easily notice if I drop even 10fps below 60 in any game with a lot of movement. It's not a placebo, either. You do need to be primed to perceive high frequency temporal details (like, by spending a lot of time looking at fast moving objects in high light in real life!) though.

• Like 1

NTSC v1.2: 801C7861 00xx - "target FPS modifier" (or however to call it) Edit: "clock divider modifier"?

01 = 60 FPS (file select)

02 = 30 FPS (start menu)

03 = 20 FPS (in-game)

04 = 15 FPS

05 = 12.5(?) FPS

06 = 10(?) FPS

Note that the game can rarely reach 60 FPS; best to try it in Link's house or other areas with ex. static backgrounds. Kokiri Forest reaches 25-30 FPS, depending on where you are and where you look. But leaving performance aside, the gameplay is not made for anything other than 20 FPS either - walking speed, animations, collision detection, everything is made for 20 FPS.

It is kinda... impressive, I guess, to see how smooth OoT can run in ex. Link's house, but it's completely unusable for actually playing the game.

NTSC v1.2: 801C7861 00xx - "target FPS modifier" (or however to call it) Edit: "clock divider modifier"?01 = 60 FPS (file select)02 = 30 FPS (start menu)03 = 20 FPS (in-game)04 = 15 FPS05 = 12.5(?) FPS06 = 10(?) FPSNote that the game can rarely reach 60 FPS; best to try it in Link's house or other areas with ex. static backgrounds. Kokiri Forest reaches 25-30 FPS, depending on where you are and where you look. But leaving performance aside, the gameplay is not made for anything other than 20 FPS either - walking speed, animations, collision detection, everything is made for 20 FPS.It is kinda... impressive, I guess, to see how smooth OoT can run in ex. Link's house, but it's completely unusable for actually playing the game.

Very good point, I forgot about the slower animations of old games.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.