Question about flags and switches

Armos

Question

I don't know how the flags and switches things work. I have read the wiki and I don't understand how to use it. I am trying to make it to where when you kill a White Wolfos or a Stalfos the Death Mountain Trial Gate disappears when you kill the enemy. I'm not too quite sure on how dungeon stuff works. Like eye switches, etc. These are the things I'm getting interested in. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. I'm making a mod and I'd like to know a thing about flags and switches, etc. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hello there,

Edit note: The text in red explains clear triggers without concrete examples and doesn't apply for the gate I've found for you!

The flag that you want to use for the Death Mountain Trial Gate is called a clear trigger. It is much simpler to use than switch flags.

Every room (here Kakariko Village, if I'm right?) should automatically have a single clear trigger flag.

This clear trigger is set (1) by killing all enemies in the room.

When this clear trigger is set (1), some actors attached to it are going to react.

If there are no actors attached to the clear trigger in the room, the clear trigger doesn't work. This is the case in most of the rooms.

So, to make the clear trigger work, you simply have to attach an actor (like a gate) to it by using special variables. The room enemies then will automatically be attached to the clear trigger and have to be beaten to set it.

Sadly, it is not documented on the z64 wiki that you can attach the Death Mountain Trial Gate to clear triggers or switch flags.

I will do some experiments and then tell you the steps to do or, if it doesn't work with this gate, I'll try to propose another gate and tell you the steps.

Thank you for reading!

Edit: So, here I am. Sadly, I couldn't get the Death Mountain Trial Gate to work with clear triggers in my few experiments. It seems, but I'm unsure, to be impossible to attach it to a clear trigger.

You should use another gate. I've done a test with a water temple gate but I didn't get results.

As a poor solution, I propose the Sacred Meadow gate. It looks quite similar and it has the right size for this map.

But: It works differently than other actors and I don't even know if it attaches to clear triggers!

Fact is, for this gate, forget what I told above: It seems to open if it shares the first part of its variable with a single wolfos. So, no real clear trigger, you only have to beat that single wolfos.

The setup:

Gate:

Object ("group"): 0161

Actor Number: 018D

Variable: XX01 where XX should be 1F

Wolfos:

Object: 0183

Actor Number: 01AF

Variable: XX0Y where XX should be 1F and Y should be 0 for normal Wolfos but you can try Y=1, too, for white Wolfos.

The clear trigger flags are poorely documented, excepted for normal doors and chests. But maybe this is because only a few actors at all can attach to them.

If you want to use clear trigger flags for normal doors and chests, I'll gladly help you.

I would love to make further investigation in clear trigger flags and a proper tutorial, but I say this everytime and I rarely find time to do it.

For the switch flags, please give me an example of what you would like to do (with an eyeswitch for example) so I can explain it to you (actors attached to switch flags are more documented than actors attached to clear triggers so you can use it more freely).

Please tell me if this strange gate works, especially for the white Wolfos!

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

A simple work-around for getting a gate to open through a switch would be to add two other actors to your wolfos-gate combo.

- A fire circle

- A switch

Place a switch in the same place of a fire cirlcle. Set the fire circle to deactivate after the clear trigger has been set (the wolfos has been killed). From there, just set the gate to the switch flag (once the switch is pressed). Ultimately, it would be the same concept as "kill wolfos -> open gate".

This is a clever idea!

For this method, I would use the gate that I tested earlier (it can be found in the Water Temple and in the Spirit Temple). It attaches nicely to switches.

Object: 0059

Actor Number: 01BB

Variable: XFYY where X is 0 for a small gate and 1 for a bigger gate. You will still need two gates for the Death Mountain entry (because it's too big).

I think you can freely rotate this gate (it has two faces).

YY is your switch flag (I'll explain it better later...), say, 03 for a permanent secret, 23 for a temporary secret, for example.

You then would take a normal ground switch (Object: 0003, Actor Number: 012A) with variable YY00, where YY is the same switch flag as your gate, and place it like Jason777 said.

Use variable 6F03 for your flame circle. This great information is taken directly from Airikita's topic: http://www.the-gcn.com/topic/1741-updates-for-zelda-oot-actor-list/

The Wolfos and any other enemies (like Stalfos) don't need any special settings. This is way more flexible than my poor Meadow gate.

It's a clever use of both clear trigger and switch flags, I think I'll use it too, thank you for the input, Jason777!

Please tell me if this strange gate works, especially for the white Wolfos!

I did exactly what you said. It worked 100% with both Wolfos and White Wolfos. And I figured out how do to chests on my own. Thanks! :) I tried it with Stalfos but it failed. Duno why. But it worked well for the Wolfos. :)

Do you success in attaching chest to clear triggers, too?

Yea, I managed to put a clear trigger chest in the room I'm working on for a short mod. I placed a big chest in the room to appear after you clear the room of enemies. So I figured that one on my own. I appreciate the help. If I need any help I'll let you know. :) I got excited when I figured this out. :D I appreciate the help. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.