SoD's Mods

SoulofDeity

Got bored and redone some of my older mods, 2 of which I never uploaded because I was going to use them in my own project before. All are for OoT 1.0 (U)

Megaton Hammer -> Iron Knuckle Axe - Fixed the combiner mode so the blade is silver instead of green and stopped it from giving UoT trash display lists

OoT Hookshot -> MM Hookshot - Added an icon, made independant of the hero bow, and managed to import it without having to scale down the textures by using one of the fairy bow's vertex data as a buffer and redirecting them to the hi-poly fairy bow.

Fairy Bow -> Hero Bow - Added icons and inventory text, made independant of the MM hookshot, and managed to import it without having to scale down the textures.

As the names of the files suggests, there's no GI items made for them, but whatev. Might do those later if I'm still bored :P

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the feedback  :)

It is a little difficult to get a good quality image in the game though because the textures use a 128-bit palette. Thanks to my discovery of the GDS earlier though, it's possible to change the texture format, color, or shape of the skybox as well if you wanted to. I'm working on writing a tutorial to modify the interface right now.

• Like 4

I've always hated the Skybox in OoT (You can see the Seams for Heaven's sake!) This looks like a vast improvement over that though! Great work.

Yeah, there's a reason for that actually. Here's a rip from the game:

hu5cpi.png

The order is front, back, left, right, top. Notice the black seam on the bottom and right. The textures themselves are only 125x64 and 125x125. The visible part of the texture is scaled up to fit the full 128x64 and 128x128 size and cut into 32x32 tiles. The seam is most likely due to this scaling.

That makes a good amount of sense. In theory they look nice, but they're just so low-resolution when actually seen in-game. (also the lack of stars in OoT was always rather perplexing.) Is there only a single skybox or is there a skybox for day-twilight-night? If there's only one universal skybox I guess that might be why the night sky is underwhelming.

That makes a good amount of sense. In theory they look nice, but they're just so low-resolution when actually seen in-game. (also the lack of stars in OoT was always rather perplexing.) Is there only a single skybox or is there a skybox for day-twilight-night? If there's only one universal skybox I guess that might be why the night sky is underwhelming.

There are 5 skyboxes;  dawn, day, dusk, night, and storm.  Also, the reason why there are no stars is that the clouds are animated by rotating the skybox; so if there were stars they would be moving all over the place.

You could use the GDS to hack in a secondary skybox that's slightly smaller and uses cloud textures; then adjusts the modelview matrix to make the original skybox remain stationary.

Like mzrules stated. It's a little tricky to replace though, here's a small tutorial.

You'll need:

Step 1 - Setting up the texture

• Create a new blank image that's 128x384 with a black background
  • Open your images up in GIMP. If it's a cubemap, drag from the ruler bar on the left and top to set guides and use the Image -> Transform -> Guillotine tool to slice it (optional, it's just faster)
  • If you've got full side images (meaning the horizon is about in the center of the image), crop the images to a little over half their size. Generally, what I do is first scale the image down to 256x256 and crop it to 256x150
  • Scale the side images down to 125x64
  • Scale the top image down to 125x125
  • Place them into your black image, from top to bottom, in the order front, back, left, right, top. There will be a small black margin on the right and bottom.
  • Go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed and set the maximum colors to 128.
  • Save as texture.tga with RLE disabled and the origin set to the Top-Left

Step 2 - Converting the texture

• Open up your texture.tga file in your hex editor.
  • Scroll all the way down to end of the file. You'll see "TRUEVISION-XFILE". Place your cursor right before the 'T' and go back 8 bytes.This is the true end of the texture data. Starting here, select 0xC000 bytes
  • Create a new file copy those 0xC000 bytes to it.
  • Save the new file as texture.raw

Step 3 - Converting the palette

• Create a new image in gimp that is 128x1 in size and save it as palette.tga with RLE disabled
  • Open texture.tga up in your hex editor and go to 0x00000012
  • Copy 0x180 bytes
  • Open palette.tga up in your hex editor and paste those 0x180 bytes at 0x00000012
  • Save and re-open palette.tga in gimp
  • Go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add Transparency Layer
  • Save image
  • Drag and drop palette.tga onto tga2rgba16

Step 4 - Inserting into the game

• Go to the offset of the skybox file in the rom.
  • Paste-Write (Ctrl-B ) the data from texture.raw
  • Paste-Write (Ctrl-B ) the data from palette.raw
  • Save game, you're done
  • Like 3

I tried this but it didn't go completely right. However, I did get a garbled up image in the sky so I know I'm getting somewhere with it but I still need to practice with it a bit more. Is there anyplace special anyone is getting their skyboxes for this project? I wouldn't mind porting over Majora's Mask's skybox but I don't know if it's a simple port over or if you'd have to go through it doing this method.

I tried this but it didn't go completely right. However, I did get a garbled up image in the sky so I know I'm getting somewhere with it but I still need to practice with it a bit more. Is there anyplace special anyone is getting their skyboxes for this project? I wouldn't mind porting over Majora's Mask's skybox but I don't know if it's a simple port over or if you'd have to go through it doing this method.

Make sure that you are adding the transparency layer to your 128x1 tga before you drop it onto tga2rgba16. That tool is very picky about the color format.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.