Other M: Directors Cut

Xylaphone

So I fell like eliminating my biggest issues with metroid: Other M which where cutscene length, off dialogue and possibly replacing voice actors.

These are the goals:

• Rewrite/edit the script which includes

• Past tense explanation
    • Tell who the deleter is and not have that subplot disappear from the story
    • End the “you need to read the manga†argument by recreating scenes from it
  • Cut down cut scene length when unneeded or slow paced parts occur
  • Replace as many voice actors as possible
  • remove all wheres Waldo moments
  • Have multiple releases which are

• The drafts then completed scripts
    • The “movie†reedited with story boards put in the replace/insert the edited or new scenes
    • Then hopefully a patch for the rom assuming it gets that far
I'm not yet a programmer so this will be a slow burn project, the main goal will be to edit down the script then decide where to go from there. I'll post positions if I need help but don't expect a lot of update frequently.

I will post a completed script here for feed back when I've reworked everything

Edited by cdogwashere
  • Like 1

It's really coincidental you mentioned this. I just read some really in depth reviews of it and watched the theater mode. If you're actually pursuing this, I'll try to help get the word out and contribute where I can.

Things I would like to see:

- Remove any indication that Adam is giving Samus permission to activate her various weapon systems.

- edit out Samus turning into a child

- hardcode the 3rd person missile firing (check gecko codes site) All I've heard about 1st person viewing is it's inconvenient.

- Adam going into sector 0 seems completely pointless given what happens to the station at the end of the game (maybe change his reasons behind doing so..perhaps instead due to extreme regret for his involvement in the station)

Heck, just editing the subtitles while removing all voice acting should be fairly easy for someone slightly skilled in programming and would go a long way in helping the story and allowing Samus to become the badass bounty hunter she used to be for some 25 years.

I look forward to seeing the progress and changes being fleshed out.

- hardcode the 3rd person missile firing (check gecko codes site) All I've heard about 1st person viewing is it's inconvenient.

I've been debating having the nunchuck required to allow movement in first person mode somehow but I'm sure how much modding will be done besides just dialogue editing and the removal of where's waldo moments

- Remove any indication that Adam is giving Samus permission to activate her various weapon systems.

- edit out Samus turning into a child

- Adam going into sector 0 seems completely pointless given what happens to the station at the end of the game (maybe change his reasons behind doing so..perhaps instead due to extreme regret for his involvement in the station)

I feel most of these issues stem from poor voicing acting and lines that repeat and/or are too vague. Keeping it tight, straight to the point and the plot fully explained without too much detail will help

Here's an example of some editing, I've mostly started attacking the large paragraphs at the moment and erasing anything redundant or unnecessary

Original:

Samus i - Code name: "Baby's Cry." A common SOS with the urgency of a baby crying... The nickname comes from the fact that the purpose of the signal is to draw attention. The signal was coming from a remote part of space. I altered the course of my ship as if this detour had already been part of my flight plan. Baby's Cry... It was as though it was crying specifically for me...

NEW:

Samus i - Code name: "Baby's Cry." A common SOS with the urgency of a baby crying... The signal was coming from a remote part of space. I altered the course of my ship as if this detour had already been part of my flight plan. Baby's Cry... It was as though it was crying specifically for me...

I removed the explanation of where the nickname comes from; the explanation is obvious and not required because saying that it has the urgency of baby crying implies all we need to know about the SOS signal

Edit: I am also going to read the manga because apparently it explains a lot of things in other m and its officially licensed so I figure made I could use it to fill some things in if they fit or fix things

Edited by cdogwashere

In order to keep the story somewhat intact it could help to relay the idea that Samus is giving an account of what happened after the fact. This would help to explain all the different times she would begin monologuing about different events she was not witness to.

In order to keep the story somewhat intact it could help to relay the idea that Samus is giving an account of what happened after the fact. This would help to explain all the different times she would begin monologuing about different events she was not witness to.

I think it is implied in zero mission that everything is being explained in the past tense which helps make the cut scenes make more sense, so this is would fix a couple holes/issues

so here are my updated goals:

• Rewrite/edit the script which includes

• Past tense explanation
    • Tell who the deleter is and not have that subplot disappear from the story
    • End the “you need to read the manga†argument by recreating scenes from it
  • Cut down cut scene length when unneeded or slow paced parts occur
  • Replace as many voice actors as possible
  • Have multiple releases which are

• The drafts, then completed scripts
    • The “movie†reedited with story boards put in the replace/insert the edited or new scenes
    • another version of the movie with the cut scenes rendered if possible
    • Then hopefully a patch for the rom assuming it gets that far

I personally never had any problems with this game, but good luck, regardless.

Thanks for saying that cause that reminds me to state that I did not hate other m or believed any of extremist states of claimed sexism or any of that. I just have an issue with pacing and some missed opportunities so this will be similar to the castlevania 2 redacted, if you hated the gameplay your still gonna hate this

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.